1. Take meat out of the fridge and unwrap it. Wait until it reaches room temperature (around 30 minutes)
2. Pat the meat dry.
3. If you’re going to trim some fat to sear with, trim a little fat off now. Around a small pinky finger size will work.
4. Slice your meat against the grain into strips. These should be around 1 inch square and 3-4 inches long. You can also cut the strips much thinner (around ¼-½ inch) but keep them wider.
5. Heat up your pan, grill plate, or skillet. It should be hot enough that when you flick water at it, it boils off immediately.
6. Place beef tallow or trimmed fat onto the hot surface until it melts. Swirl it around to make sure you’ve got decent coverage.
7. Place the strips on the pan to sear. Sear for around 1 minute until the bottom side is golden brown, then flip and sear for another minute.
8. Then sear on the remaining two sides for around 30-45 seconds until the meat is seared evenly all around. Note: refrain from poking, squishing, flipping, or sliding the meat while it sears.
9. Rest meat under tinfoil for 3-4 minutes, then enjoy!